The Bishop is the visible principle and foundation of unity in the particular Church (the diocese) entrusted to him. In a unique and visible way, he makes Christ’s mission present and enduring as Shepherd of the Christian Community. In order to fulfill his mission, the Bishop employs suitable, chosen collaborators (clerics, religious, or lay people). He shares with them the apostolic mission and entrusts various responsibilities to them.
Each position employed in the Diocese of Austin helps to extend the ministry of the Bishop in particular ways as outlined in the job description. Therefore, the employee in this position is closely connected to and assists the Bishop in the performance of his ministry and thereby engages in ministry for the church.
The Coordinator of Pastoral Juvenil Hispana is responsible for coordinating the initiatives of the office focusing on Hispanic youth and young adults. The position reports to the Director of Youth, Young Adult and Campus Ministry and operates under moderate supervision with some latitude for the use of independent judgment, discretion and initiative.
Essential Job Duties:
• Advocate for and provide formation of the special needs, issues and gifts of the Hispanic young population in the Diocese of Austin. Provide a response with appropriate pastoral models to fulfill the needs.
• Coordinate formation opportunities at the diocesan level for youth ministers, campus ministers, and lídered jóvenes (young adult leaders).
• Collaborate with other diocesan offices working with Hispanic youth and young adults (Offices of Hispanic Ministry, Religious Education, Family Life, Vocations).
• Develop and maintain a network of lídered jóvenes, youth ministers, and pastoral advisors to assist in the coordination of diocesan services and programs.
• Assist with the support and formation of and serve as diocesan contact for Hispanic young adult groups and movements, working closely with their pastors, religious, deacons, and lay leaders.
• Oversee and provide formation for the Hispanic young adult leadership team.
• Promote collaboration between parish young adult groups and movements, and facilitate regional and diocesan programs for and gatherings of Hispanic young adults for continuing growth in faith, fellowship, vocational discernment and other areas of need and interest.
• Collaborate with Instituto Fe y Vida and other national formation institutes in the United States in providing formation courses in Pastoral Juvenil Hispana.
• Encourage Hispanic youth and young adults to continue their academic education; establish relationships with academic institutions that may help in this effort.
• Manage resources on diocesan Youth, Young Adult, and Campus Ministry website.
• Maintains a work schedule that maximizes availability to parishes, diocesan staff and other customers.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Ability to operate various word-processing software, spreadsheets, and database programs.
• Ability to work effectively with others (staff, clergy, religious and laity).
• Ability to provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers.
• Ability to organize, prioritize and utilize effective time management techniques.
• Ability to respect confidentiality at all times.
• Ability to carry out multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
• Ability to follow instructions furnished in verbal or written format.
• Ability to proficiently communicate in English and Spanish (conversing, writing, and reading).
Education and Trainings:
• Bachelor’s degree in Theology or a related field of study from an accredited American university or equivalent in a foreign country.
• An Associate of Arts Degree in Theology or a related field of study is acceptable with 4 or more years of full time wage earning experience in a related field.
• Two (2) years of full time wage earning related work experience or four (4) years of related volunteer experience.
• Bilingual English-Spanish (proficient in conversing, reading, and writing).
• Must be a practicing Catholic in good standing.
• Valid Texas driver’s license.
• Must be certified in Diocese of Austin EIM within 60 days of employment, and maintain certification throughout the employment period.